Thursday, October 23, 2008

Tonight, Tonight

The next installment of my journal will be brought to you by two hired guest writers: my parents. In an act of genius and laziness (this seems to be a theme of mine: work smarter not harder), I figured that it would be both interesting and considerably more informative for my parents to be the ones to narrate the tales of their adventure in Benin. It would be unfair to say that I do not have an equally interesting perspective on the matter, but it is perfectly just to admit that it was not I who kept a journal during the trip detailing each day's events and meals—including side commentary from even my brother who could also provide an assuredly interesting journal as well. I suppose what it comes down to is that for me, the whole of the trip, much like my girls camp, was spent frantically scrambling behind the scenes to make sure that everyone else was having what turned out to be a fabulous vacation. While I undoubtedly enjoyed having my family with me and showing them the “Highlight Tour of Benin,” I was nearly equally stressed out about finding taxis for the next day of travel or finding hotels accommodating enough for the night or praying the weather would cooperate or translating French or hoping the no one would get sick or just making sure everyone was generally happy—I felt like I had to be on top of everything at all times otherwise, I was sure that the worst would come and ruin what expectations had built up to be the “trip of a lifetime.” Whether by chance or fate or goodwill, however, everything did work out as I had planned and sometimes even better than planned. Sometimes, my only regret regarding the trip is that I frequently felt like I had to be so aware of everything surrounding the trip that I forgot to be present in the moment with my family. However, I know that in the end, I showed my family things they never would have seen and that I gave them the opportunity to eat things they never would have tried and I had them experience things they never would have imagined, and for that, I like to give myself a pat on the back and a “job well done.”

Since the end of my parents adventure in Benin, I have had good deal of time to relax and prepare mentally for the start of a new school year. Recently, I received a clean bill of health from the Peace Corps medical office during my mid-service checkup—they revealed that most significant change regarding my health was my twelve pound weight gain since the start of my service. This, of course, just reiterated what I already knew and adds a certain justification to all of the town people of Manigri who feel it is perfectly kind and normal to let me know that I've gotten fatter—again. With a sigh and a roll of the eyes, I admit that it's better to be healthy and gaining weight rather than sick with some intestinal parasite and fighting to keep any weight on at all. All the same, I have started an exercise program with the hopes that I can at least curve or plateau the weight gain this coming year. Besides my twelve pound baby of fat, my joys have been rather small, but significant nonetheless. First, I finished the seventh and final Harry Potter allowing me to feel as though I am now some way more a part of the American pop culture as well as more savvy for future battles of Trivial Pursuit. After Harry, I finally got around to setting up my World Space radio which allows me to feel connected to the outside world in a whole new way. I now have, with the click of a button, access to NPR and Fox Sports radio and the top 40 countdown. In fact, just last night, the final presidential debate took place and while I didn't listen to it at three in the morning Benin time, I caught all the summaries and sound clips today during lunch. Continuing along the lines of my technology successes, I discovered that I had acquired but never watched Season four of “The Office.” This was, of course, immediately rectified and I now can intelligently brief anyone on my opinion of Jim and Pam. Finally, I have actually been back to school, received my schedule, written my hours on the classroom boards, and plan to start right up this coming Monday. This year is bound to be just as interesting as the last, but I hope that I can act more like the old pro as opposed to the wide-eyed rookie. The school has actually given me the same grade levels to teach as I taught last year thus giving me the opportunity to improve upon my lessons from last year and hopefully make me a more effective teacher—the truth will be revealed throughout the year.

In all seriousness, I am feeling happier and more at peace than I have felt in a very long time since arriving in Benin. Perhaps, I have finally struck a balance between feeling involved and accepted in the community of Manigri while still feeling strongly attached to the world I left behind in the US. I believe that the start of school and the return of many happy and familiar faces as reminded me of all the kindness living in Manigri. Not to mention, my excitement surrounding the possibility of several upcoming projects including the building of a basketball court and the planning of camp success part deux. On the other hand, my recent trip home coupled with my family's visit and now my World Space radio are what are allowing my heart to fill with love and familiarity of a place not so far away.

I nearly forgot to add that amongst my accomplishments of the recent weeks, I saw and destroyed my first scorpion. It was a gray, two-inch little monster who tried to sneak up on me last night—I squished him with my trusty wooden block. Currently, he remains frozen in death on my back porch as a message of warning to any of his relatives who might think it would be cool to come disturb me in my home.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

We've gotta get on that journal entry.
Just so you (and others) know: we never saw you sweat. You seemed in control and relaxed the whole time.
But, boy oh boy, were we ever helpless!!!!! Thanks for the trip of a lifetime, no doubt.
And it sounds like things are going well for you: scorpion killer, Harry Potter reader and now with World Space radio!!! It's ALL comin' together...
LOVE YOU!!! Dad

Judith A. Johnson said...

While I struggle to find time to write in my seemingly carefree life, I will get on it. Maybe on the beach at Typhoon Lagoon.

And what is your opinion of Jim and Pam?

Anonymous said...

I second the question from your mother regarding The Office and would like to add that the current season is wonderful so far. Also wonderful apparently-scorpion killing blocks. I think you could market those. I'll let you know when I think of a good name. Working title-"Scorpion King".
-Johanna

LNCanDVM said...

I am so glad to hear your return to "normal" life in Benin post-Us post-fam attack is going well and is for the time being scorpionless. Solid. (I was telling someone about that 'symbol/sign' from our HS days, and it didn't seem to amuse them... shockingly).

And Jim and Pam... I know, right?

Shari said...

Hi Carly, I am Jessica's (in Bassila) mom. Just wanted to introduce myself and thank you for your blog. I am also a classroom teacher, so I find your expereinces quite interesting. Love the story about the taxi ride. Every Beninese taxi story I read or hear about seems to be entertaining! Keep up the EXCELLENT work!

Anonymous said...

[b]NationalClicks.com-Free Adult, Sexy Videos, Pictures, Games.[/b]

[b]**NOTE:[/b] We are your ONLY Free Softcore Adult Playground with over 20 Free Social Communities built towards your favorite fantasy.

You don't have a favorite fantasy? You should.

Maybe its Hot Teachers, Hot Mom's, Hot Wives, Lingerie, Daisy Dukes, Nip Slips, Sexy Legs, Booty or Panties.

Don't worry, we have you covered.

With over 20 Free Hot Social Communities to upload Pictures, Videos and Blogs we are sure to have what you want.


[b]Check it out, have some fun, interact and enjoy all the free stuff.
[/b]